Sweet potato pie is a Southern tradition that graces any holiday table. It’s one of my favorites that I can enjoy year-round.
- 21/2 to 3 pounds sweet potatoes
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 9-inch partially baked pie shells
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a medium saucepan, boil potatoes in lightly salted water until tender, approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Drain water from pot and shake pot over low heat to dry potatoes. Mash the potatoes and then beat them smooth with an electirc beater. Stir in beaten eggs, brown sugar, salt, spices, vanilla, evporated milk, and sweet potatoes. Pour into pie shells. Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 325 degrees for 40 minutes, until center is almost set but still soft.