This is not your typical Greek salad made with feta and olives that most Americans know. Rather, this version is popular in the Greek countryside and includes a few wild greens foraged from the land. The Greek Country Salad can be made as a starter or for your main meal, particularly in the summer.
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound organic escarole, chopped (4 cups)
- 1/4 pound organic tender young mustard greens, trimmed and finely chopped (2 cups)
- 1/2 pound organic dandelion greens, tough stems discarded, leaves cut crosswise into 1/4″ slices (2 cups)
- 2 ounces organic baby spinach (2 cups)
- 1 cup organic watercress sprigs, trimmed
- 1/4 cup chopped organic Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced organic red onion
In a large salad bowl, whisk together the vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the honey. Add the oil in a slow stream, whisking until blended. Add the salad ingredients to the dressing and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.